Linguaskill tests must be taken under invigilated test conditions. Linguaskill customers (direct customers and channel partners) are responsible for providing the services needed for test invigilation. For face-to-face invigilation, the instructions for invigilators are provided here.
This article lists the requirements for delivering Linguaskill using remote proctoring solutions.
The Linguaskill test platform (Metrica) does not currently provide integrated remote proctoring and therefore any remote proctored service is implemented by using third party, unintegrated solutions. Linguaskill customers directly enter into contract with remote proctoring suppliers for delivery of remote proctoring services. Before deciding on using a remote proctoring supplier, Linguaskill customers should make sure that Cambridge English has confirmed that the remote proctor supplier is compatible with Linguaskill.
Below are the responsibilities of the Linguaskill customer, the remote proctoring supplier and the candidate when implementing the unintegrated remote proctoring model for Linguaskill:
(direct institutional customers, channel partners, agents):
Please see the Agent Guidelines for Remote Proctoring document for full details.
Please be aware that any engagement of a proctoring provider will be at your risk. You are required under the Centre agreement/ Linguaskill Agreement to ensure regional regulatory compliance and this is likely to include 3rd party service provider engagement. It is imperative the Centre/ Agent carries out their own due diligence on the remote proctoring provider. Any contractual or regulatory breach from a 3rd party service provider (including remote proctoring providers referred by Cambridge Assessment) will be at the sole risk of the Centre/ Agent.
- Selecting the remote proctoring supplier and making sure they have been confirmed as compatible with Linguaskill by Cambridge English:
- Testing the end-to-end workflow between Metrica and the remote proctoring platform.
- Liaising directly with the remote proctoring supplier on the candidate training and technical requirements needed for remote proctoring and communicating this to their candidates.
- Are responsible for verifying a candidate's ID.
- Deciding to issue or withhold the candidate result based on the remote proctoring report and communicating this to the candidate.
- NOTE: When setting up the sessions in Metrica for candidates who will take the test using remote proctoring, customers should ensure that they do not make the test results visible to candidates in session settings. Please follow this link to find out how to set this up. Customers will then be able to control the release of the results based on the content of the proctoring report.
- Should ensure that no Metrica log-in details are shared with an individual outside of their organisation, including any third party providers. If they are aware of any lapse of security in relation to their Metrica accounts being accessed by a third party, to inform Cambridge Assessment English as soon as possible and to change their login details.
- Some Remote Proctoring companies (such as ProctorU) will give the Entry Code to candidates just before they take the test to ensure that the candidate cannot access Metrica without a proctor supervising. In these cases, it is acceptable to pass on the Entry Code to the Remote Proctoring company ahead of the session as the Entry Codes do not have any personal information contained in them.
- Data protection and data security for candidates remains the responsibility of the agent or centre and it is a requirement to ensure they have taken steps to protect their candidates data in accordance with data regulations in their jurisdiction.
Remote Proctoring Supplier
- Facilitating the trial of the workflow with the Linguaskill customer.
- Delivering the services, including onboarding and training, as per contractual SLAs with the Linguaskill customer.
- Providing support channels to Linguaskill customers and candidates in case they face issues with the remote proctoring platform.
- Ensuring that all relevant data and privacy laws are followed and communicated to Linguaskill customers and candidates.
Ensure the following are in place before the start of the test. Please check if there are any additional requirements specific to your remote proctoring supplier.
- You will need a laptop/PC, a webcam and a microphone. Please check the technical settings specific to your remote proctoring supplier.
- Decide where to take your exam. It must be a quiet location where nobody will disturb you.
- Check that there are no posters or any other material with English writing on the walls.
- Your desk must be empty and there must be no helpful materials in the room such as dictionaries, any notes, calculators etc.
- If there is a landline in your room, unplug it or set it to silent.
- Take a break before the test - you can’t leave your seat once you have started the test.
- Make sure no one else is in the room or can enter the room during the test.
- You are only allowed to have at your desk:
- Your photo ID
- For Speaking test only: blank paper and pencil
- Make sure that the room is well-lit.
- All the applications on your computer except the test application must be closed.
- Make sure you follow all the instructions from the remote proctor throughout the test.
Note: The remote proctoring solution does not change the way Linguaskill tests operate. For any questions on Linguaskill, please refer to the Linguaskill support site and contact the Linguaskill 24x7 Helpdesk.
For any issues regarding remote proctoring, please contact your remote proctoring supplier directly.
Cambridge English will not address any inquiries regarding the decision on issuing of results to candidates. It is the responsibility of the Linguaskill customers to address the candidate inquiries.